Everyone loves tacos…and everyone loves avocados. Combine them, and you’ve got an instant crowd-pleasing appetizer. Plus, this recipe is super simple and good hot or cold, so no need to prepare as your guests are arriving (stressful!).
Yes, this recipe is a little out of the box — but that’s the point. I teamed up with All-Bran to brainstorm unique ways to incorporate this fibre-rich cereal into meals so that Canadians can easily add more fibre into their diets. I learned that many of us are only getting half the amount of recommended daily fibre we need! Though you may have never used All-Bran as a panko or bread-crumb style coating before, trust me, it works well. And I love this recipe — when I started nibbling on these tacos, I couldn’t stop. Hope you feel the same way. [Scroll down for contest details – we’re giving away a KitchenAid Food Processor & more]
Thanks to All-Bran for sponsoring this recipe post!
Yields 6 tacos, serves 2-3
For the crunchy avocado wedges:
1 ½ c. All-Bran Flakes
1 flax egg or egg
1/2 tsp. chipotle spice
For the chipotle mayo:
1 tsp. chipotle spice
½ c. Vegannaise or mayonnaise
For the taco filling:
Small handful pickled jalapenos or pickled cabbage
6 small corn taco shells
6 sprigs cilantro (optional)
1 tsp. sea salt
1. With a food processor (or your hands…or a ziploc bag + mallet), crush All Bran Flakes into small bits, then mix with chipotle spice (add more if you like it spicy) and salt. Set aside.
2. Prepare your chipotle mayo by simply mixing together Vegennaise/mayonnaise with chipotle spice (make extra to have on hand for later!).
3. Add a generous amount of oil to a medium-sized pan and heat on medium high. Slice avocados into wedges (not too thin or they’ll break). Dip into egg, then gently press into your All-Bran flake mixture, coating entirely. Fry wedges in your hot pan until golden brown on either side (about four minutes each side).
4. To serve: add two avocado wedges to each taco shell and garnish with a generous squirt of chipotle mayo and a sprinkling of pickled jalapenos, a few radish slices and cilantro. Enjoy!
- A KitchenAid 3.5-cup, 2-speed, one-touch Food Chopper
- All-Bran Custom Made Cutting Board
- An assortment of All-Bran Cereal
- 4 Architec NylaCork Cooking Utensils
How to Enter: Simply like this shot on Instagram and tag two taco-loving friends — easy peasy. Good luck!
Contest Timeline: The contest closes on Monday, November 23rd at 9am. Winner will be announce shortly afterwards here and on Instagram. UPDATE: Congrats to @caffeinatedbcmom who is our winner!! Thanks to all who entered!