A gastronomic feast for the senses, the 13th annual EAT! Vancouver Food + Cooking Festival, taking place April 26 to May 3, 2015, announces its star-studded lineup today, with tickets going on sale to the general public Thursday, March 5 at www.eat-vancouver.com.The largest festival of its kind in Canada, the 2015 edition of EAT! Vancouver features an expanded eight-day program with more than 35 collaborative workshops, dinners and events taking place throughout Vancouver before culminating in a three-day show at BC Place Stadium May 1 to 3. Vancouver’s top chefs welcome their contemporaries from across Canada, bringing them together with artisans, farmers, winemakers, craft brewers, distillers and media from British Columbia and beyond as the city’s vibrant culinary culture is showcased like never before.
EAT! VANCOUVER EVENTS
Location: Throughout Vancouver | Date: Tuesday, April 28 to Sunday, May 3 | Price: $135 to $225 | DETAILS
Attracting leading guest chefs from across Canada, this unique culinary collaboration between local and visiting chefs provides food and wine aficionados with one-of-a-kind dining experiences in many of Vancouver’s top restaurants:
- Hidekazu Tojo of Tojo’s Restaurant welcomes Susur Lee, restaurateur/chef and former Iron Chef America competitor, Toronto, ON;
- Jackie Kai Ellis of Beaucoup Bakery & Café welcomes Toronto’s Anna Olson, host of Food Network Canada’s Bake With Anna Olson, at The Dirty Apron;
- Pino Posteraro of Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill & Enoteca welcomes Mark McEwan restaurateur/chef and Food Network Canada notable, Toronto, ON;
- J-C Poirier of Ask for Luigi welcomes Jérémie Bastien of Restaurant Leméac, Montreal, QC;
- Wesley Young of Wildebeest welcomes Jesse Grasso of The Black Hoof, Toronto, ON;
- Joel Watanabe of Bao Bei Chinese Brasserie welcomes Michael Caballo andTobey Nemeth of Edulis Restaurant, Toronto, ON;
- Andrea Carlson of Burdock & Co. welcomes Connie DeSousa and Jessica Pelland of CHARCUT Roast House, Calgary, AB;
- Trevor Bird of Fable Kitchen welcomes Carl Heinrich of Richmond Station, Toronto, ON;
- Lucais Syme of La Pentola welcomes Nick Nutting of Wolf in the Fog, Tofino, BC;
- Angus An of Maenam welcomes Nick Liu of DaiLo, Toronto, ON;
- Chris Whittaker of Forage welcomes Andrew Winfield of River Café, Calgary, AB.
Thirteen exclusive and interactive workshops take place throughout the week that allow attendees rare, behind-the-scenes access to some of the city’s hottest restaurants, markets and production facilities:
- Baking at Home with Jackie Kai Ellis of Beaucoup Bakery & Café;
- Explore the World of Coffee with Grady Buhler of JJ Bean Coffee Roasters;
- Pizza Workshop and Gelatini Workshop with James Coleridge of Bella Gelateria;
- Fermentation Master Class with Jonathan Chovancek of Bittered Sling Extracts and Café Medina;
- Making Terrines at Home and For the Love of Bacon with John van der Lieck of Oyama Sausage Co.;
- Market Shop, Cooking and Lunch Experience with Pino Posteraro of Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill & Enoteca;
- An Evening of Bourbon & BBQ with Darryl Lamb of Legacy Liquor Store and The Belmont Bar;
- Cheese and Wine Workshop with Allison Spurrell of Les Amis du Fromage;
- The Art of Butchery with Sebastian Cortez of Sebastian & Co. Fine Meats;
- Kickoff to BC Spot Prawn Season with Robert Clark and Mike McDermid of The Fish Counter and Steve Johansen of Organic Ocean;
- Outlandish Shellfish Kitchen Party with Ned Bell of Chefs for Oceans and YEW seafood + bar, and Tim Bedford of Vancouver Aquarium.
Moderated by award-winning food journalist Don Genova, chefs, restaurateurs and leading culinary influencers gather to discuss issues facing sustainability and ethical meats in four thought-provoking sessions:
- Sustainable Seafood with panelists Guy Dean (Albion Fisheries), Mike McDermid (The Fish Counter), Dr. Daniel Pauly (University of British Columbia), and Patrick Warren (Mac’s Oysters, Smokey Bay Seafood);
- Taking Stock of the Future with panelists Ned Bell (Chefs for Oceans, YEW seafood + bar), Theodora (Teddie) Geach (Ocean Wise), Dan Hayes (The London Chef), and Dr. John Volpe (University of Victoria);
- What’s Your Beef? with panelists Tom Henry (Metchosin Farmer, Small Farm Canada), Jason Pleym (Two Rivers Specialty Meats), and Gillian Watt (BC Meats for BC Markets, BC Association of Abattoirs);
- Beyond the Chop with panelists Sebastian Cortez (Sebastian & Co. Fine Meats),Connie DeSousa (CHARCUT Roast House), and John van der Lieck (Oyama Sausage Co.).
Pastry Tasting and Panel Discussion
Join Vancouver’s most notable dessert chefs, Thomas Haas (Thomas Haas Chocolates & Pâtisserie), Christophe Bonzon (Chez Christophe Chocolaterie Pâtisserie) and Adam Chandler (BETA5 Chocolates), for a tasting and discussion about the art and science of sweets. Moderated by Jackie Kai Ellis of Beaucoup Bakery & Café.Canadian Flavours Gala
Location: Terminal City Club | Date: Thursday, April 30 | Price: $125 | DETAILS
Presented in partnership with the Naramata Bench Wineries Association, the Canadian Flavours Gala will roll out the red carpet for a well-heeled crowd of food and wine enthusiasts as top local and visiting chefs present signature dishes paired with first spring-release wines from the Naramata Bench.
EAT! VANCOUVER AT BC PLACE
Location: BC Place Stadium | Date: Friday, May 1 to Sunday, May 3 | DETAILS*
Price: $15 online, $17 on-site (Adult); $12 online/on-site, $6 on Friday, May 1 before 5 p.m. (Seniors 65+); $9 online/on-site (Youth 13-16); Free admission for children 12 and under.
The week-long culinary extravaganza culminates with the EAT! Vancouver at BC Place show May 1 to 3, featuring more than 250 exhibitors celebrating food, drink and cooking. All-new programming takes centre stage, including: VIP Chef Experiences; the“Talk & Taste” Stage; the Canadian Food Artisan Pavilion, sponsored by Edible Canada; the Craft Beer Alley, sponsored by the BC Craft Brewers Guild; an On-site Legacy Liquor Store; as well as appearances by luminary chefs such as Rob Feenie,Vikram Vij, Ned Bell, Anna Olson, Susur Lee and Mark McEwan.
*Full programming, exhibitor and event details for EAT! Vancouver at BC Place will be revealed soon.
This release was provided by Shelley McArthur Communications