If I hadn’t made these muffins myself, never in a million years would I have believed they are low in fat and sugar.
1 c. light soy milk sprinkled with about 1 tsp. of vinegar (to create a ‘healthy buttermilk’)
1 c. quick oats
2 medium-sized ripe bananas
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour (whole wheat if you prefer)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 ½ cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. fresh or frozen sliced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease your muffin tin.
2. Mix ‘buttermilk’ and oats. Let stand for one hour in fridge.
3. Cook bananas in microwave for two minutes. Let cool.
4. In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix egg, bananas, sugar, and vanilla.
5. Combine banana mixture to oat mixture.
6. In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix flour, powder, soda, spices, and salt.
7. Combine dry with wet and add most of the strawberries.
8. Garnish muffin tops with remaining strawberry slices.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Voilà — TO DIE FOR! Let me know if you agree.
Weekends are made better with fresh baking.
Ciao for now.