If you, too, have wished Vancouver’s vacant urban land could be transformed into something positive and nurturing for our community, you’ll be happy to learn about Sole Food. They’re a 5-year-old not-for-profit social enterprise building a realistic model for urban farming in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside and they have a goal to raise $100K.
“We want to cultivate a network of supporters for the local food economy and build our capacity to grow more food for our community.”
As for Sole Food’s artisan quality fruits and vegetables? They have klout. Top chefs in the city, like Burdock and Co’s Andrea Carlson, use many of their beautiful ingredients in their dishes. It’s no wonder this young company won “supplier of the year” at this year’s Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards.
In support of Sole Food’s crowd-funding campaign, Chef Andrea has created a special recipe using their newly in-season ingredients.
French Breakfast Radish Salad with Lovage ice and Garlic Chive Cream
PART 1: LOVAGE ICE
2 tbsp Sole Food Lovage
2 tsp sugar or honey
1/4 c. water
1. Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix
2. Strain and freeze
PART 2: GARLIC CHIVE YOGURT
1/3 c. 10% goat yogurt
2 stalks Sole Food garlic chive
1. Gently blend all ingredients and steep for 10 minutes
2. Pass mixture through strainer to remove fibres and leave garlic chive flavour infused in yogurt
PART 3: RYE CRISPS
6 extremely thin pieces of dense rye bread
1. Brush bread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
2. Bake at 300F until dry
PART 3: SALAD
10 Sole Food french breakfast radishes
6 small heads Sole Food mache
1. Wash and trim the large outer greens of breakfast radishes — keep the small centre greens for garnish
2. Wash and trim the outer leaves of mache
1. Cut radishes into playful shapes, some with green tops standing upright, others with root ends pouted upright, some into thin slices lengthwise.
2. Assemble these on round plate. Sprinkle lightly with maldon salt. Place dollops of chive cream of plate in varying sizes.
3. Set small mache clusters in amongst the radishes and place crisps in between as well.
4. Finish with a few mounds of lovage ice and drizzle all with light olive oil.