Does your family have a go-to salad recipe that you enjoy as part of dinner multiple times a week? This is ours, originally created by my dad and made with just five ingredients, including several Avocados From Mexico, tomatoes, a cuke, red onion and hot sauce. It’s SO easy-to-make, SO delicious and super healthy — try it this March, aka nutrition month!
I love loading up my plate with a big portion of this salad, which ends up reminding me a bit of guacamole because I toss it so much that the creamy avocado mixes together with the hot sauce and turns into a bit of a dressing…it’s a perfect way to get those healthy fats and avoid the less healthy fats, like some oils. This recipe is oil-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free and plant-based…and, even my grandma loves it, which is saying a lot (she is the biggest, most honest critic). She requests it for every dinner we share together.
A few fun facts you may not know about avocados:
- Avocados are nutrient boosters — they help the body absorb more fat-soluble nutrients from the other foods you’ve eaten.
- In just 1 oz of avocado, you’ll find 20 nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
- Their creamy consistency makes them one of the first fresh foods a baby can enjoy, and they go great with other mashed fruits and veggies (Roen sometimes eats up to two avocados a day!).
Serves: 7 (or save for leftovers!)
7 Avocados From Mexico (cubed)
7 small to medium tomatoes (cut into bite-sized pieces)
1 cucumber (quartered then sliced)
¼ c. red onion (diced)
¼ c. of your favourite hot sauce
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss for a good three minutes (until avocado gets a bit mushy and begins mixing with the hot sauce to create a dressing).
- Enjoy fresh or as leftovers.
Read about the Avolifestyle and access hundreds of avocado-centric recipes by visiting avocadosfrommexico.ca.
Thank you Avocados From Mexico for sponsoring this post!