If you’ve ever tasted Ask for Luigi’s Spaghetti Nero with Octopus and Grilled Jalapeno, you can imagine how excited I was when owner and chef J-C Poirier agreed to share it. His Strathcona Village eatery is made-from-scratch pasta heaven. And of all their menu offerings, this beautiful, dark and tangled creation is one to remember. Hope you love it as much as I do…
Spaghetti Nero with Octopus and Grilled Jalapeno
Yields: 4 servings
To make squid ink Spaghetti:
290g semolina flour
160g “00” flour
200g whole eggs
8g squid ink (find this ingredient at Bosa)
1. Put ingredients in the mixer and mix with the paddle attachment for 2 minutes.
2. Switch to the hook attachment and mix for 10 minutes, or knead by hand. Let the dough rest wrapped in plastic for a minimum of 1 hour before rolling it.
To make the octopus sauce:
240g of cooked octopus sliced thinly
1 glove of garlic, chopped
¼ cup white wine
1-2 jalapeno, grilled and diced
2 cups of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon of mint, chopped
1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped
1. In a hot pan, cook the chopped garlic with a little drizzle of olive oil. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, reduce by half.
2. Add the diced jalapeno, octopus and tomato sauce to your pan. Bring to a simmer.
3. Add the partially cooked pasta and finish the cooking in the sauce, then add the mint, parsley and butter.
4. Season with salt if needed (sometimes the octopus can be salty on it’s own so it might not need any).
Enjoy! …with a nice glass of red.
For more information on Strathcona Village (900 E. Hastings), visit www.strathconavillage.com to register and follow the hashtag #StrathconaVillage online for more updates on other local gems and more.
And, it’s time for contest #2…a $100 gift certificate to Ask For Luigi is up for grabs.
1. Post a picture to Instagram with the hashtag #StrathconaVillage
2. Tell us what you love about the Gastown, Chinatown and/or Railtown neighbourhoods.
And congrats to last week’s winner, Viranlly Liemena!
We’re giving away a $100 gift certificate each week for the next five weeks, so stay tuned to my Instagram account (@erinireland) for updates. The next winner will be announced on Friday, September 26th. Good luck!