A fridge-full of local organic corn and a glimpse at Rain or Shine’s Instagram feed inspired this recipe. You might be thinking, “WEIRD,” but picture how sweet corn is. This sugary vegetable was meant to be turned into ice cream. Here are the corny details.
2 cans full fat coconut milk
1 1/2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or corn starch)
4 ears corn (cooked)
1 c. cashews (half of them chopped)
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
1/3 c. honey
1 tsp salt
1. In a small bowl mix together 1 can of coconut milk with roughly half of your arrowroot powder.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add your other can of coconut milk. Once warm, add 3 ears worth of corn and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add honey, vanilla, cinnamon, vegan butter and salt to your saucepan and stir until combined. Transfer this mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
4. Pour mixture back into saucepan and add your coconut milk/arrowroot mixture – it will thicken slightly. Place in fridge until chilled, then add to your ice cream maker.
5. Five minutes before your ice cream has reached its desired thickness, add remaining corn kernels and chopped cashews.
6. When your ice cream is thick and creamy, spoon it into a parchment lined baking dish and garnish with remaining whole cashews and maybe a few kernels for colour. Hope you love it!!