Over the years picnickers have quietly kept VanDusen’s rolling lawns and babbling brooks a special secret. Picnicking in the Garden is about to become a secret no longer. Now that the warm summer weather has finally arrived, Truffles Café at VanDusen is now offering picnics for two to take into the Garden. Priced at $58 each picnic includes:
* a sturdy picnic basket with lined picnic blanket (these must be returned after usage)
* two regular-sized sandwiches of your choice
* two small salads of your choice
* two beverages (including coffee, juices or sparkling water)
* a selection of cheese and crackers with grapes
* napkins and utensils
$2.00 from every picnic sold will be donated to Karma Exchange, a registered non-profit charity that helps girls in northern Ghana access education.
Picnics are packed on a first-come basis and cannot be ordered in advance (in person only orders at Truffles). FYI – peak hours are from 11:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. Try to come a little early or a little later to avoid the crowds.
As VanDusen Botanical Garden is a living museum of rare and endangered plants as well as a natural eco-system, picnickers are asked to follow a few simple guidelines:
* pack out all your garbage, return it to Truffles with your picnic basket and blanket
* do not feed the animals and birds (human food is harmful to them and we do not want them to become dependent on people)
* do not sit on, or pick, the plants and flowers
* be respectful of other’s right to also enjoy the Garden
Whether you choose the Monet picture-perfect Meadow Garden complete with stream, or the tranquility of the Great Lawn or the ‘hidden bench’ along fragrant Azalea Path; we know that it won’t take long for you to become addicted to this special form of urban-stress buster.
Check out VanDusen’s facebook page <
http://www.facebook.com/> for daily updates on the Garden or visit the Garden’s web site www.vandusengarden.org . For further information on Truffles visit its web site:www.trufflesfinefoods.com/café .