Hot For Food Blog’s Salted Caramel Apple Crumble Tart is one of the most delicious desserts I’ve tried in a while. I first saw it on their Instagram and couldn’t resist giving it a try. And the vegan caramel sauce included in the recipe? Total gamechanger. Never have I tried a vegan caramel sauce thatcaramelly and close to conventional caramel — texture and flavour-wise. It’s a beautiful thing!!!
Lauren and John’s recipe calls for three apple, which results into a pretty thin tart. I had a bunch of apples in my produce drawer and figured why not go deep dish style. Here’s how to do it:
Tips on going DEEP DISH with Hot For Food Blog’s Salted Caramel Apple Crumble Tart Recipe
- Use either a super deep pie dish or an 8.5″ springform pan.
- Grease your pan really really well, and even place a parchment paper cut out on the base for easy removal (because the apples are so heavy I couldn’t transfer the tart to a cake stand and removing perfect individual slices was a bit tricky, too.)
- Double the number apples the recipe calls for (which is three). My apples were pretty small so I actually used seven. As you’re adding those apples to your pie crust, have no fear: you’ll probably feel like you’re adding too many, but keep going! The result will be beautiful. PS A mandolin really comes in handy for this step!
- Go heavy with your crust ingredients. Since you’ll need a bit of extra crust (to go up the sides of your deep pie dish / springform pan, go with heaping measurements of Hot For Food’s pie crust ingredients.
- I also increased the crumble topping recipe by 1.5 because I wanted to make sure I had LOTS. This step is optional.
- Bake your tart for an extra ten minutes — the extra apples need this time to cook and soften.
- Note on the caramel sauce: after you make it, it will not firm up / become unusable! I left mine out overnight and woke up to perfect, beautiful caramel sauce. Really blown away by this recipe! Way to go Lauren and John. You guys are amazing!!
- The dairy-free whipped topping I used (in the picture) is by So Delicious from spud.ca.