Tofino is a foodie’s paradise, especially if you’re a seafood lover. Fish caught in these waters are delivered to restaurants on the same day – a practice that gives ‘fresh’ a whole new meaning. It’s pretty tough to find a bad meal in this cozy little town, but certain dining experiences (and dishes) truly stood out. Here are their details, as we discussed them in today’s The Rush TV segment.
One of the best chef’s tasting / wine pairing dinners I’ve ever had. This is a bucket list destination that you must experience in your lifetime (or, ideally, a few times a year). The dining room’s 240 degree ocean view make The Pointe an epic location for a special occasion dinner.
2. Top 3 Fish Tacos in Tofino
- Wildside – tempura-battered ling cod in soft shell
- Shelter – melt in the mouth tuna in a crunch fried gyoza shell
- Tacofino – baha-style soft shell with seared tuna and wasabi mayo
3. Three Must-Try Dishes in Tofino
- Deluxe Smoked Salmon Platter by The Pointe – melt in your mouth fish served with cream cheese and housemade bread
- Polenta Fries from Sobo – handmade polenta deep fried, served with a housemade caesar sauce
- Ling Cod by The Pointe – oh so tender, served with breaded, fried mussels
4. Where To Have Dinner In Town: Shelter
“The current mission of the team here at Shelter is to source and use only the most sustainably and ethically produced ingredients possible,” – Shelter Website. Boy do they stand by this mission statement. And as it turns out, ‘ethical’ tastes amazing. Order whatever is fresh.
5. Where To Go For Dessert In Tofino: Chocolate Tofino
Must-try: Lavender Honey Gelato, made with Salt Spring Island Lavender & local Island Honey.
6. Upcoming Tofino Food & Wine Events
1. Feast Tofino (May 1 – 31)
Feast Tofino is a festival honouring boat-to-table tradition, showcasing locally-caught seafood. Restaurants throughout Tofino and Ucluelet will be offering a nightly prix-fixe menu of either $29, $39, or $49/person. From May 25th – 31st, $49 will buy you a 3-course Spot Prawn Tasting Menu at The Pointe Restaurant.
2. Tofino Food and Wine Festival (June 7 – 9)
A celebration of food and wine, with the main event, Grazing in the Gardens, supporting local initiatives.