Seven layer dip is usually one of, if not, the most popular item on the appetizer table. It only makes sense that this genius creation be recreated in as many other forms as possible, am I right?
Introducing the Seven Layer Dip Flatbread with lime avocado smash using Avocados From Mexico. Why have I never thought of this before? It includes all my favourite flavours: avocado, vegan cheddar, pickled jalapenos, black olives, refried beans etc. This layered appetizer is served chilled or at room temperature and is perfect for parties, game-day or any other kind of celebration. It can be sliced up into skinny pieces which are easy to eat with hands.
If you don’t have all the ingredients on-hand, you could simplify things by doing a simple, single-layer avocado smash pizza (also served at room temperature) with green onion or cilantro topping. Because avocados from Mexico are always fresh and in season (available year-round!) and who doesn’t always have some on hand in the fruit basket? As a family, we’re averaging eight per week these days. They are easily our favourite fruit.
A few fun facts you may not know about avocados from Mexico:
- Avocados are nutrient boosters — they help the body absorb more fat-soluble nutrients from the other foods you’ve eaten.
- In just one ounce of avocado, you’ll find 20 nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
- Their creamy consistency makes them one of the first fresh foods a baby can enjoy, and they go great with other mashed fruits and veggies (Roen sometimes eats up to two avocados a day!).
Serves: 7 (or save for leftovers!)
3-4 Avocados From Mexico
¾ c. refried beans
1-2 tbsp hot sauce
½ c. salsa
½ c. vegan sour cream
¾ c. vegan cheddar cheese
¼ c. black olives (sliced)
3 tbsp mild pickled jalapenos
2 tbsp green onions (sliced)
½ c. cashews (soaked, if using a non-high-powered blender)
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Cook your pizza crust according to package instructions. If using flatbread, no need to bake it.
- Make your mashed avo: combine avocado with lime juice and salt and mix together until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Make your chipotle cashew crema: add cashews, chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and salt to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Prepare your refried beans: in a bowl, add beans and hot sauce and, with a fork, mix to combine.
- Build your pizza: on your cooled crust or flatbread, spread on a layer of refried beans and sprinkle with salt. Next, add a layer of vegan sour cream, followed by a layer of your favourite salsa. Lastly, add on dollops of mashed avo and spread out with a spoon. Using a pastry bag or a small ziploc with a cut corner, drizzle on your cashew crema in a zig-zag motion. Finish with a generous sprinkling of vegan cheese, black olives, pickled jalapenos and green onions. Enjoy!!!
Read about the Avolifestyle and access hundreds of avocado-centric recipes by visiting avocadosfrommexico.ca.
Thank you Avocados From Mexico for sponsoring this post!